We must honor the promise we have made to our military veterans. This means taking care of them and their families after they have finished their service. As someone who has served, and who has had three sons in the Marine Corps, this is a personal commitment on which I will not waiver. My actions include:
- Strong support of veterans in Missouri. I have worked with numerous veterans to ensure that they are getting the care & support they need.
- Fighting to help improve the conditions at the VA Medical Center is St. Louis.
- Introducing a bill to create a burn pit registry for veterans who have been affected by burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan. This bill has about 70 bipartisan cosponsors and has been endorsed by organizations like the VFW, AMVETS, the American Legion, Disabled American Veterans and many more. This bill passed the House of Representatives and is now waiting on action from the Senate.
- Introducing the Veterans ID Card Act, which would create an ID card for many veterans who have served honorably but have no easy way to prove their service. This bill is also endorsed by numerous veterans organizations and has over 60 bipartisan cosponsors.
- Supporting numerous bills to fix the concurrent receipt issue. Veterans should be allowed to receive both their retirement pay and their disability pay.
- Cosponsoring a number of bills and voting for amendments to fix the problems with the Survivor Benefit Plan.
- In 2008, voting for the Post 9/11 GI Bill which increased educational benefits for our new veterans.